ProTop Installation Instructions on Windows
If you're installing ProTop for the first time, be sure to read the installation requirements.
1. Open a Remote Desktop session on the Windows Server hosting the databases.
3. Create the ProTop installation directory, for example "C:\protop".
4. Extract the downloaded zip file directly into this directory.
5. Find the "proenv" shortcut for your OpenEdge installation and run it as administrator.
6. From the proenv command line, change directories to the ProTop installation directory.
7. Launch pt3inst.bat.
8. Select the installation type by using the up/down arrow keys to highlight the correct line, then spacebar to select the highlighted option:
- If this is your first time installing ProTop you wish to trend data on our web portal, select "Create a new custId"
- If you already have an account on the web portal and are reinstalling ProTop, or installing ProTop on a new server, select "Use an existing custId" and enter it on the next screen
- If you prefer to only use the locally-installed Real-Time Monitor and not send data to the web portal, select "Local install (no portal)"
9. If you selected "Create a new custId" in the previous step, you will be prompted to enter an email address and company name. Your new ProTop web portal login credentials will be sent to this email address.
10. Enter a comma-separated list of directories containing databases you wish ProTop to discover or leave blank to skip this step. Only running databases will be auto-discovered.
11. Select the databases you want ProTop to monitor:
- Use the Up/Down arrows to scroll through the list
- Space Bar to toggle the Keep value
- To exit automatic database discovery process:
- Use F1 or Ctrl-x to save monitored databases and exit
- Use F4 to quit without saving databases
If you selected "Create a new custId" as the installation type, your new custId will be displayed in a confirmation message.
If you selected "Local install (no portal) as the installation type, please proceed to the Starting ProTop Real-Time help page to get started.
Web Portal Trend Data Configuration
Now that you have installed the basic ProTop package, please perform the following configuration steps to gather your metrics and send them to the ProTop Portal for trending and graphic presentation.
12. From the Windows Services screen, verify that the "ProTop DB Monitor" Service has been installed and is started. If it is stopped or paused, restart it.
13. If you did not configure any databases or wish to add more, see Adding More Databases for detailed instructions.
Access the Portal
14. Check your email. By now, you should have received an email with your login credentials and the URL of your ProTop web portal. (No we do not use "password" as the default password!)
15. Click on the link in the email to login to the ProTop web portal
You will start seeing data in the web portal in about 5-10 minutes.
If you do not see data in the portal, or if you have any problems or questions, there are multiple ways for you to get help.
Our Troubleshooting Guide covers the most common issues such as proxies and firewalls.
The ProTop Community is a great place to ask questions about how to use ProTop and how to interpret the data.
Of course, you can send us an email at any time and we'll do our best to respond within one business day.
Uninstall ProTop from Windows (may require elevated privileges)
1. Open a command window (cmd.exe)
2. Navigate to your ProTop installation "ubin" directory
c:\> cd c:\protop\ubin
3. Run the nssm64.exe provided with ProTop
c:\protop\ubin> nssm64.exe "ProTop3 DB Monitor" <confirm>
4. Click Yes.
5. Navigate to your ProTop installation directory
c:\> cd c:\protop
6. Remove the folder and its contents
c:\> DEL /F/Q/S *
7. Remove any other ProTop related files and folders that you may have created outside of the ProTop installation folder.